Not sure if this was iris reticulata 'Harmony' or 'Pixie' iris reticulata 'Purple Hill' 'Blue Hill' among species crocus Anything I could write about iris reticulata would pale in comparison to their awesome beauty. So instead, here are a few images from the past few years. For such a tiny flower, they have the biggest punch! A few days ago, I wrote that early spring bulbs are the punk rockers of the spring garden. Art school dropouts with dyed hair, ready to get into a fight over who is hardier, in the middle of a snowstorm. About twenty-ish years ago, we planted our first hundred iris reticulata, courtesy of Van Engelen . Talk about enabling! When you have a hundred of anything, you start thinking bigger. After you've planted a hundred bulbs, you ask yourself... what if I had four hundred more? What could I do with a huge wave of purple moving through the garden? I should try to capture the wave of blue from atop a tall ladder or maybe...
Communicating is a complex thing. Talking is one thing. Dialogue is another. Writing and reading seem much the same; similar but different. You would think that video and photography would be the same sort of deal. Not yet, at least not for me. I've been taking photographs since I acquired my first little Instamatic that took 126 film cartridges, had no focus or shutter control. It was the epitome of a camera for the proletariat. Until I started writing this post, I never really knew how this camera came into my hands. As I went through my dad's old scanned files, I found a photo of him using it. Obviously pre-dates his using the Pentax 35mm which I think my mom gave him as their first anniversary present. image from ebay.com My dad, on his honeymoon in 1971, using the Instamatic, that I would inherit 8 years later. I started working in video when I was a teenager, eventually ending up working with Miami Springs TV production... while simultaneously working for ...
Seeds of various irises, from SIGNA, from friends on Facebook, and from fellow hybridizers I have been waiting for the SIGNA seed exchange to open since 2023. They cancelled the seed exchange last year due to low participation numbers. Not enough folks were excited enough to send seeds. This year, I kept checking the SIGNA website with baited breath. For other seed loving, iris growing enthusiasts, here is the link: http://www.signa.org/index.pl?Membership So why am I so excited? I guess it helps to understand what SIGNA is. "Species Iris Group of North America is devoted to studying the Iris family in the wild as well as enjoying them in the garden. We're equally interested in species and hybrids. We promote them through our seed exchange while supporting their conservation in the wild. We disseminate scientific and cultural information about them through our members-only publications and to the public at large via this website." - from the SIGNA website. What this re...
Comments
Post a Comment